Saturday, November 01, 2008

How to do a Jiuzhaigou Huanglong trip on your own?

It's actually pretty easy to go to Jiuzhaigou 九寨溝 on your own.

First buy plane tickets from Chengdu or Chongqing to Jiuzhai-Huanglong Airport, of course, you can always choose to go by bus if you want to save $$, but it's a long bus trip. =P





After you leave the airport, you will see lots of taxis, with price preset already.



You can go to Huanglong from airport and then to Jiuzhaigou, OR go to Jiuzhaigou first from airport and then go to Huanglong on your way back to the airport.

If you go to Huanglong first, the good thing is that Huanglong is much less beautiful, so you'll have a better time in both places (compared to going to the really beautiful Jiuzhaigou and then get disappointed by Huanglong =P), but the downside is that on the way to Huanglong from the airport, you need to pass through really high altitude, so you can get mountain sickness on your way.

It's over 4000m on the way.



For me, my choice was limited by flight availability, so I didn't get to choose. I had to go to Huanglong first.

You can store your luggage on the taxi/car while you tour around Huanglong.

I highly recommend you take the cable car. Just look at the height from ground, if you don't take the cable car, you need to walk up this far! And at a high altitude, don't forget!



Be prepared to feel breathless when you're there, especially if you go there directly from airport. See my fingers got all bluish here, I think I was hypoxic.



Then you can walk towards the scenic spots on level ground (for 2.75km), and then after touring around the ones on the top, you can walk downwards, it took me 4 hours to tour around the whole area (including cable car), if you choose to walk all the way up and down, you have to have more time than that.

From the top to bottom, it's more than 4km!





As for Jiuzhaigou, no outside vehicles are allowed, so you need to take the buses inside anyway, the only problem is how to get to the entrance. The best way is taxi!

The price is also all set. And there are LOTS of taxis around.





After getting in, you can take the buses inside, they're really frequent, like once every 2-5 mins, so you practically don't have to wait, but I was there during high season, if you go in low season, be prepared to wait longer.



Easy? Go to Jiuzhaigou on yourself next time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

didn't u go on tour?

aMy said...

No, I didn't, you didn't know? That's why I had so much trouble getting plane tickets.

Unknown said...

i thought you joined the tour in the end cuz i remember you mentioned sthg about modern china.

aMy said...

If modern china had a tour, I would have gone with them, but they didn't, so I need to pay so much more to go on my own...