Monday, December 11, 2006

Not the first time...

I just remembered today, yesterday's election wasn't not the first one I missed. I also missed the Christianity subsector poll last month.

Because I am eligible for voting in two different subsectors, I got the chance to compare the two, though I did not vote in either.

In my own professional subsector, I received various ads from different candidates. Most of them concentrate on the development and changes in my own profession (sometimes just a list of the positions they held in various organisations), rather than Hong Kong as a whole(which is to be expected in a subsector election, but frankly rather disappointing for me as a voter). There're slight differences but most of them are similar... Better pay, better hours...

As I mentioned in my blog yesterday, I don't believe ANY substantial changes can be made despite what the future CE may say during the elections... (The only way to get things done in the government, sadly, is to garner enough public support through the media. They never do things before that. Only after everyone is blaming the government for a certain problem, then and only then, they'll TRY to do something.)

Anyway, after reading through the ads, I still have no idea politically where they stand. I did read an ad on a newspaper yesterday with a list of pro-democrats in the various sectors. If I didn't read that, I would NOT have any idea whatsoever.

For the Christian sector, it's even worse. I never EVEN knew who was running. I just watched a TV documentary on this election a couple of hours ago, actually one of my university classmates (who's from a big church across the Island) ran in the election! He lost. All the 5 of his teammates lost. (They're all pro-democrats.) I did know a deacon from my church was also in the election. That's about it.

I know of some of the churches are more politically involved. In contrast to my own church that insists on separation of church and state. (I have no objection to this, don't take me wrong. See my views on this here.) I need a lot more information, and it's sadly lacking...

Overall, I'm happy with the result that Alan Leong got a chance to run for the CE next year. Not so happy about the whole election thing. (My views for democracy has changed quite a bit in the past couple of years, that's another long topic of discussion though... I'm going to stop here.)

No comments: