Sunday, December 03, 2006

How to plan for travelling overseas for dummies with a low budget? (Part 4)

You want to travel on a budget, what can you do?

You can save by walking for short distances. You can save by buying cheaper plane tickets. You can live in hostels or sleep in train stations. (I tried it once... that's NOT an experience I'll ever want to repeat...)

You probably can't save on admission fees (unless you're a student with and ISIC card), if you don't go and visit places, why do you bother to travel?

For Europe travel, the thing you can save most on is food. (For China travel, the only thing you need to do about food is choose one that's reasonably clean, most of the are cheap.)

Food is extremely expensive in Europe. A reasonable dinner costs like 5-6x that of a similar one in Hong Kong...

Ways to save on food (I have tried them before, so they're feasible, don't think I'm kidding)
1. Get as many loaves of bread you dare at your free breakfast from your B & B or hostel or hotel (if you're living in a hotel, I don't think you need to do this), and then you can eat them for lunch or even dinner if you get enough and can STILL stand bread... This is how I developed bread phobia from my first Europe trip...

2. Cook your dinner AND your lunch... Many hostels have self-catering facilities. Many people will cook their own dinner to save money. I cooked twice as much spaghetti I need at night and save some of them for lunch, treat them as cool noodles, you'll feel fine... they're much better than bread... but it costs extra $. You may look like an idiot when you sit somewhere in the street/park/stairs/wherever you are, take out your lunch box, and eat...

3. If you've got friends overseas, you can visit them. They may treat you for your dinner/lunch... but whether you'll be friends with them after these free food, hmm...

4. If you get embarrassed easily and refused to do 1-3, you can go visit supermarket daily and buy food that are on sale...

What can I say? I don't care about food. If you like eating... then save more before you go on a trip!

No comments: