Sunday, November 19, 2006

Separation of church and state

I really don't like ignorance.

I don't like ignorance in people, well... including myself, I can't understand why people don't know (or simply don't want to know) what's happening around them... That's NOT the point here, however.

A few weeks ago, Christians could vote for their representatives in the 800-people election committee for the chief executive election next year, as there's still no universal suffrage here in Hong Kong. Members of my church could go to the church office and obtain a certificate to indicate their membership for voting purposes.

A friend of mine told me she thought it was extremely wrong for this to be announced during our church's service... Baptist churches believes in the separation of church and state, so it's wrong to promote the election of Legislative councillors in the church... what??

As I have mentioned before, ignorance is one thing, it is the promotion of ignorance. That's my point here.

I understand why people say church should not dabble in politics, I know the history behind this. However, is talking about this in the church forbidden or what?

Frankly, it's ridiculous.

The Bible never said this. And I don't know how Christians can be salt & light to society if they don't know what is happening around them...

Quite the opposite, in my opinion, my church should talk MORE about politics. Chinese people in general are NOT interested in politics. Chinese churches are EVEN less interested. It's really an unhealthy phenomenon. This promotes ignorance.

No comments: