Saturday, December 09, 2006

Chinese...

Last time I went to Hangzhou, a very friendly local woman introduced us to various sights around when we met on a bus. She asked us if we were from Shanghai. We smiled and said, "No, we're from Hong Kong." I can understand that. Honestly we don't look that different from people who lived in Shanghai. We do look VERY different from people in Hangzhou, so I can understand why people mistook us for Shanghaiers.

The same thing happened today, but I'm VERY mad... I was shopping in a boutique, a saleswoman talked to me in PUTONGHUA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe that? Initially, I thought she was some new imigrant working in the shop, or I mistook some tourist from mainland as salesperson...

She repeated the question in Putonghua again...

Then when I looked extremely puzzled, she changed back to Cantonese...

Needless to say, I did NOT buy ANYTHING from that shop...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahhahaha!!!!

hehee, it's so funny, & demoralising(sorry to tourists), but it happens!

so dumb

nyways glad to see that u sound so much better! initially i noticed this first post only but realized at once how energetic it sounded compared to the last few days!

happy weekend

Anonymous said...

hahhaa i can imagine u looking unintentionally then deliberately puzzled !!!! heehee

aMy said...

maybe you check my blog early... in fact I typed "Chinese" first followed by "progress notes" (but edited the time of the post to be earlier...) haha!!

There must be some good people from mainland China, but most of the people who gets our attention are the bad ones... so sorry to all the good Chinese people for this.