Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice)

I had finally finished reading this book. I had stumbled upon this book while surfing on NT Wright's website. (He's a New Testament scholar, and the Bishop of Durham)

The beginning and the end of the book are quite good, but the middle portion is quite boring, sounds like a Jewish customs manual, detailing on how to make offerings, how to celebrate the various festivals. I had to flipped through them. I think she had far too much information, but did not know how to incorporate them into the novel interestingly.

Back to the good parts, I think her work helped me understand how Jesus grew up to die for us. Why Jesus would grow up this way and see dying on the cross as salvation to all? Instead of doing it in the way we mere mortals can imagine.

I liked the scene where Jesus saw the man being murdered at the temple, and also the scene where Jesus understood men were born to die.

The best part of the book is the author's note. Ha! What Anne Rice would have thought about this! I know the story itself has been created with meticulous research, the quest for Jesus and the love of God. However, in the author's note, I can really see Anne Rice's own personal experience with God. How God used everything, every way to change a person. (Even one who's turned an atheist.) It's just like the sermon I had heard earlier and wrote about. God choses His own people and sees them.

Listen to both NT Wright & Anne Rice talking about their writings here.

No comments: