Saturday, December 13, 2008

Planning on Peru trip (part 1)

Yeah, I know I still haven't left for my Christmas trip yet, hey, that's a trip for the idiots with my mom, so no preparations needed! Apart from paying for everything...

As many people know, the most famous sight in Peru is Machu Picchu (and I have wanted to go since I was in primary school), and you can hike a four day trail all the way there, or 2 day trail (and stay in the hotel at night time, no need to camp), or just take train + bus from Cusco to Machu Picchu.



I'm not sure if I can do the hike at high altitude for 4 days, the hardest part involves climbing 1000m in one day, not from 0-1000m, but from like 3000-4000m!

And March is the wet season in Peru, so you get lots of rain as well... (Wet season is from Dec-Mar, Dry season from Jun-Sept.)

Here're some good resources for me (and maybe you) to start planning on this part of the trip
Inca Trail FAQ
Lonely Planet FAQ Machu Picchu and Inca Trail
And this blog written by a Taiwanese girl who went to Peru on her own, great photos and details on her trip

I think a 2 day Inca Trail is more within my capability, I can still remember the misery I had (cold and wet clothes, cold food, shivering under my sleeping bag) when I hiked under heavy rain during my secondary school days... though I suspect this trip will be easier as there are porters and cooks, still 1000m climb... if it' not a rainy season, then maybe ok, well, this post I just read from the Lonely Planet site (by antarticmango) is encouraging =P

"The trek is hard if you are massively unfit and overweight as I was, but there is only one deadline each day - make dinner. Dinner's usually around 6-7pm and I managed to make it every day by at least two hours and I was the slowest person on the trail from any group or company! We were often among the first starters in the morning and I got to meet almost everyone on the trail as they passed me at some point during the day - it was a great way to meet people. At the same time as I was slowly completing the trail a four year old boy walked/almost ran the whole trail so anyone can do it. SAS, my tour company, were very good, always making sure that one porter was always close by to make sure I didn't get into trouble - it worked to his benefit as he met a local female tour guide and they hit it off big time :-) Slow and steady will get you there."

No comments: