Friday, September 12, 2008

Carbon offset

I'm surprised that so many people has never heard of carbon offset or has never thought about the damage we did when we flew with planes.

Whatever you do to save the planet, with one long haul flight, the amount of damage you did could be much more than what you did to save it in a year,

Last time, when I went to Australia, I was too busy (in studying) to search for carbon offset options, even though I wanted to do it.

Some of the airlines allows you to buy carbon offsets, that is to give money to do things like plant more trees/support renewable energy to compensate for the carbon dioxide you produced with whatever you did, like flying, or driving.

Examples can be found here.

I have tried searching for a similar organisation in Hong Kong, but couldn't find one. hmm... maybe I should just try to buy carbon offset from overseas companies/organisations, or maybe I should just donate more money to environmental organisations??

(From Carbon Catalog, I can only find one in Israel and one in Japan in the whole Asia!!!)

And I started searching for environmental organisations in Hong Kong, this is the most comprehensive list I found.

WWF is using too much money for administration, more than 20% on admin, membership management, promotion, etc!!!

Greenpeace, is it too aggressive at times? A bit like LSD on environment instead of politics?

The others, I don't really care much about... hmm... Anyone with any good suggestions?

(btw, you can calculate your carbon footprint here.)

No comments: