Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Love or Bread 我的億萬麵包

I've been crazily watching Taiwanese drama these days. (Mainly because I have nothing better to do after I have finished my exam in January. =P) People asked me if I like Taiwanese drama a lot, actually apart from Meteor Garden, I can't remember if I have ever watched any other before It Started with a Kiss and They Kiss Again.

As I tried to decide which drama to watch next, should I watch another drama series with Joe Cheng 鄭元暢? I thought I probably liked Zhishu (his character in the "Kiss" series) rather than the actor himself.

I tried watching another seemingly really hit series 命中注定我愛你, my conclusion is please do NOT watch this series.

The bad and cliched plot... the actor/actress are not as good looking as Joe and Ariel... their acting is no good... I got through 3 episodes and then stopped watching... (Kiss series started with a conventional plot as well but ended up being really special, because of the portrayal the real relationship, not just some fairytale story where Cinderella meets the Prince and they stayed happily ever after. =P) I don't know if the series is going to better in the next 21 episodes, I don't think I'm gonna continue to watch it.

Back from sidetracking, I also started Love or Bread 我的億萬麵包 around the same time, of course because of Joe and Ariel. I think the plot is original, the hero being a guy who cheats the heroine and owes debts from loan sharks. I can forgive the seemingly ridiculous parts of the story, given that it's a comedy. However, the execution of the plot is a bit weak, I felt even more so after reading reviews from this blog! (You can find reviews of all the episodes in her blog, I think the reviews are good, haha! and I like those screen captures.) The original ending from the novel is much better!! How come they didn't put those parts in the drama series??!!

However, after watching this series, I came to appreciate Joe Cheng, the actor. He's a really talented actor. Of course, his good looks managed to make this jerk actually attractive even when he's doing bad things. =P But you can see how good his acting is through all his facial expressions, postures, even when he stood with his back turned. Unbelievable!

These photos are all from the blog I've mentioned above.
1092717041

1092717045

1092717053

1092717057

1092717064

1092701372

I think it's a entertaining drama series with extraordinary actors, but not a classic like Kiss 1 & 2.

Which generates the next question, should I go and watch his stage play (see next post)? hmm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've watched Joe Chang's other Drama in the past, but I got the feeling that his facial expressions were the same in different emotions and scenes... seems much better in Kiss 2 and Bread

aMy said...

I think his acting is better in Kiss 2 and Bread, I have just watched a bit of Honey and Clover, otherwise, not the other drama series, but I guess he's improved over the years.