Thursday, October 05, 2006

Christiane Amanpour

I've watched this TV programme called Iconoclasts on Christiane Amanpour. I recognised her instantly as a reporter, though I wouldn't have kept on watching if Renee Zelleweger was not also in the show. I'm glad I've watched it.

I'm most surprised by the intensity of emotional attachment she had on her work. She blamed herself for failing to bring the genocide in Rwanda into the attention of people around the world. There were some other news like OJ Simpson at that time, so people were distracted. She thought the apathy led to inaction of governments around the world. And because of that, the genocide that resulted in the death of a million people, a tragedy that could have been stopped easily, was allowed to happen.

It's kinda like the work of a doctor. People always say doctors need detachment in order to do their work. However, if a doctor doesn't care about his patients, he won't be able to do a very good job. Journalists are the same, I guess. I'm stunned by her degree of self-blame, and the weight of the emotional burden she is carrying, though.

For me, I would never think that way. Life is in God's hands, not in mine.

No comments: