Sunday, December 02, 2007

Outlook

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary...

Outlook
1 a: a place offering a view b: a view from a particular place

2: point of view
3: the act of looking out
4: the prospect for the future

For all the Hongkongers, please use the word "appearance" if you want to describe somebody's appearance.

The worst thing today was that the guy actually knew the correct meaning of the word, but all these people who thought they knew the meaning of this word "corrected" him...

7 comments:

周輝 said...

我當時想到的是︰
「我個Outlook轉變左,但係個Word都係無轉到」

Unknown said...

大家都自以為是

aMy said...

Chau Fai, =P

Joanne, well, I guess you can say that. I don't know why so many HKers think the word "outlook" means "appearance" though... I guess it's Chinglish... he got the meaning right the first time... =P

Unknown said...

yea, HK ppl always think they have good English and refuse to learn anymore.

but i actually think the interpreter is not really going a great job. :P

aMy said...

That guy was actually doing a better job than what I had expected...

you should listen to the interpretation in the Bible study camp in Oct... THAT WAS AWFUL!! And got lots of MAJOR error... and a couple of years ago, I had a Sunday school class taught by Dr. Moye (interpreted by the wife of one of our pastors...) THAT WAS EXTREMELY AWFUL!!

I really admire Rev. Chan Young-man , the interpreter of the Franklin Graham Festival. He's REALLY A VERY BRILLIANT interpreter!!!

Unknown said...

yeah!! I was impressed by Rev. Chan's interpretation as well!! really good. I esp likes his tone and his choice of words. I seldom choose to listen to the interpretation. For most of the time, I stay in the English channel, but that evening, I can't help but listening to him.

aMy said...

Did you know Rev. Chan can translate JOKES! and theological discussions and stuff with double meanings as well!!!??!!! I was awed when I heard his interpretations in the past. Franklin Graham is a piece of cake for him...