Saturday, November 10, 2007

District Council Election

One day after I turned 18, I got a form to register as a voter even though there were no upcoming election or promotional campaigns for registration. Because I had been looking forward to vote ever since I was a kid.

I have voted every single time since I am eligible, except once for the election committee for the Chief executive. (I need to work 24 hours that day. Anyway, I didn't think it would make any difference. Donald Tsang was going to win regardless of whom I voted for.)

I did not really want to vote in the upcoming District Council election though, because I didn't really have a preference in this case.

There are these two candidates. One is the previous District Councillor, the other is the present one. The present one won last time because he organised all these cheap "eating and drinking" tours. =P He won even when he was on the DAB side AND DAB lost in a landslide last time. And the other District Councillor was actually in one of the more "democratic" parties.

A few days ago, I saw this previous District Councillor in a suit when I was going to work. It was a particularly windy and cold morning and he stood there alone, holding his pamphlets. After I got home, my mom told me his wife died 2 years ago according to the promotional pamphlets she got.

I feel really sorry for that guy, now I'm thinking maybe I should just go and vote for him out of pity... I don't like those "eating and drinking" tours anyway...

Is that a really weird reason to vote?????

No comments: