Sunday, October 28, 2007

Democracy

I remembered this series of novel I read when I was in secondary school called the Legend of Galactic Heroes. There were these two countries, one with democracy but bad politicians, another controlled by a good emperor who governed justly.

I used to really believe in democracy to be something worth fighting for. Especially while I was in college and in the years 2003-2004. (I joined the first two July the 1st rallies.)

Then as I see all these politicians crazily attacking each other while making all these empty promises for votes. I wonder if universal suffrage will make Hong Kong a better place.

However, recently, my views changed again when I see all the injustices. Now like Yang Wenli in the book- the Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I believe the worst of all democratic countries is still better than the worst of all totalitarian countries.

I don't like the democrats in HK but the DAB is really worse... (I have finally read this famous or infamous essay Martin Lee wrote. And I have to say I can't find any fault with this.)

I think the most important thing for China is not democracy, I don't think the Chinese population is ready for it yet. When will China have the Rule of Law?
(Watch the latest HK Connection documentary on Chinese lawyers if you're interested.)

Without democracy and the rule of Law, even basic human rights can be lost. It's just plain sad to watch the documentary. These lawyers are so courageous.

公盟

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I think the most important thing for China is not democracy, I don't think the Chinese population is ready for it yet." -- I think you would be classified as "conservatives" for this thinking; however, "democratic" ~= "liberal" (what a simply and naive bipartisan politics); therefore you're still aligned more with the DAB (or perhaps the Liberal Party) :P

I always wonder whether there can be a non-confrontational, middle-ground, slightly conservative, yet democratic stance... (maybe I'm too naive as well)

aMy said...

Well, HK is ready for democracy, China is not. I don't think I'm conservative at all.

When some people don't even have enough to feed themselves, and many are illiterate, I think democracy is simply too far away...

"non-confrontational, middle-ground, slightly conservative, yet democratic stance"??!!
This kind of thing may exist in the Western world... I guess... When democracy becomes mainly lobbying... =P then it'll be far less confrontational and when democracy is the norm, then it'll be conservative as well, right??