Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The West Wing

I have been going through the West Wing marathon in the past few days. I have stopped watching the West Wing on TV in the mid 3rd season, when the drama kinda slows down. And just started watching the rest of the episodes this year.

I've just started the seventh season. It is mainly about the presidential election for the next president of the United States. It is uncanny to see how a TV series made in the year 2005-2006 (Season 6-7) is so similar to what is actual happening in the US.

I know Matthew Santos (the fictional Democratic presidential candidate) is based on Barack Obama, both are ethnic minority, one Latino, one black, and both are very charismatic. Still, the tight race between the democratic candidate, the relatively old liberal Republican candidate.

After I noted the similarity, I began to read more about it on the web, and discovered so many people think the same. haha!!

Whenever I watched the West Wing (even though there are so many politicians with integrity in the TV series that makes it kinda unbelievable), I cannot help but wonder why scriptwriters in US can write this sort of amazing script with excellent plots, witty conversations, likable and intelligent character (I love both of the presidents they have created, and Josh as well!!), and why Hong Kong TV remains bad all these years. I guess the reason is audience in Hong Kong simply don't want to use their brains when they watch TV (or have no brains at all!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like Josh as well!!!!!

aMy said...

He's cute =) I like Amy as well (I'm not talking about me =P, I'm talking about the one in the West Wing, tho I like me as well, haha!)