Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Baptist Link

I got a copy of the latest issue of Baptist Link (a newsletter published by the Baptist Convention of Hong Kong) last Sunday in my church...

Right on the cover, the headline reads "Change the angle-- let single women in church relax"... This is a very popular topic recently with the by-census data. I was thinking what sort of new insight they can write on this old topic... so I went ahead and read it...

oh... what a brilliant and ingenious solution they got!! (you hear the sarcasm??!!)

First, there's a table on how the expectations of men and women differ on their future spouses, how women have much higher expectations than men... and then it suggests that women should consider "marrying down"...

Don't get me wrong on this, I have no objection in marrying up or down, I don't think marriage should be categorised into "up" or "down"... The most important thing is for two people to love and admire each other, anyway, this is besides the point here...

And then it continues with the nonsense by quoting a few examples on how women took the initiative in getting the guys they like... It is basically suggesting to solve the problems, women should just go ahead and chase the guys in church... Again PLEASE don't get me wrong on this... I think it's perfectly okay for girls to take the initiative... Is this going to solve the problem? Or create more embarrassing situations in the church? (in one of the examples, the girl repeatedly declared her love to the guy until he changed his mind... yeah, it might work in this special case, but...)

Most importantly why am I reading these sort of advices on a supposedly Christian newsletter??

If I picked it up from the floor, and read this, I would think this is a bad version of Cosmopolitan...

UNBELIEVABLE!

No comments: