Thursday, February 15, 2007

10 most romantic books ever

I read a discussion on a list of supposedly most romantic books ever
1. Pride And Prejudice
2. Wuthering Heights
3. The Bronze Horseman
4. Bridget Jones' Diary
5. The Time Traveler's Wife
6. The Notebook
7. Anna Karenina
8. Gone With The Wind
9. Rebecca
10. Cross Stitch

I have only read The Time Traveler's Wife and Cross Stitch (i.e. Outlander , my all time fav series!! this is the name for the UK version). I have also seen some of the other movie/TV adaptations, e.g. Pride and Prejudice, GWTW. Wuthering Heights, I tried reading it in secondary school, cannot finish it even after half a year...

Anyway, I can't imagine why Bridget Jones is one of the most romantic books ever...
However, from the discussion, I realised Bridget Jones is actually a modern adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, and the more I think about it, the more similarities I found. (Of course, I watched the BBC Pride and Prejudice, so Colin Firth was the Mr. Darcy in both of them. haha!)

As for the Time Traveler's Wife, I don't like it all that much either. It's not boring, the idea of the book is quite original, a time traveler that could suddenly go to another time (it's actually a disease), and he met his wife at another time when she was still a kid. And then when she grew up, she fell in love with him and went to find him (but he still doesn't know her yet.) Seems complicated, but actually very easy to read. The idea is novel, but the execution is not exceptional. Later on, I found the story more like horrifying (a bit exaggerated) than romantic, when the guy could not control when and where he was going and started getting injuries... I'm not going to reveal anymore of the story... but I really don't like it all that much...

As for , it is one of my all time favourite movie. If you haven't watched it yet, watch it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm...i realized...i have the vcd for 3 of them- the pride & prejudice, wuthering heights + anna karenina. does that make me very romantic??? ;p
watched half of anna on tv but not yet the full version in vcd.
took the post-call opportunity to coze & watch P&P today at my home that had been cleaned the day before..(have been watching movies @cinema post-call lately)

quite pleasant. have not seen really british kind of thing for a while. and of course darcy is lovely though unfathomable to some sense.(i tried reading the novel at high school & remember getting a bit bored and stopping in the middle though!!!)

not really a motion picture fanatic preferring to read- one can control your pace, time, get into the mood slowly...just like literature.
but i must admit that it is pleasant to watch nice movies from time to time- the characters are infectious and brings you different human emotions/perspectives.

Anonymous said...

All these books are really nice!!