Monday, April 30, 2007

Embarrassed by parents

I guess this is a fairly common thing, to be embarrassed by what your parents do? (I don't know, maybe you'll all disagree.)

I still don't know how to handle this kind of thing though.

I went to this lecture with my mom in the past few days, I think she was quite bored, although she has listened to the speaker numerous times before (because I listened to all his lectures on CDs, mp3 at home, HAHA!), but I suspect she doesn't really understand most of the stuff. And we need to wait for more than 1/2 hour every day (there's a long queue waiting for admission EVEN with the tickets), she always tried to talk to strangers, some of whom doesn't even want to talk to her... sigh... And talked about stupid stuff...

Initially I tried to ignore their conversation, but usually after the intial period, when she started to ask really stupid questions, I could no longer remain silent... and told her to stop... sigh...

Can I handle this a bit better?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

really a dilemma... if i were you, i would try to respect her and let her do what she want. or if i can't bear the embarrassement, i would talk to her to divert her attention. (though somehow it's difficult too)

Anonymous said...

i have experienced similar situations....mum scolding and arguing with the waitress in my favourite frequented restaurant i introduced for little things/'poor service'..., and my mom also chats a lot with people around her....which i do not. i usually just keep quiet to myself or share a few words with people standing close to me. so do not understand why she goes talking with people we do not know. now i just let her be. it's just her. while it is not me. and though i get embarrassed at times, it is true she gets to know more people than me through this unique character trait.

it is worst when i feel that the person she is talking to does not respect her or finds the chat a nuisance.

when i can't stand it, 1)i go off doing something else myself, 2)tag at her and distract attention to another topic/chat to her myself 3)just stand there

because in our case, i know from experience that a frank denial of her action is not going to do any good....to the situation(there would come bad black aura surrounding us obvious to all which would be even more embarrassing) or to our relationship.

but i still do tell her to stop tentatively at times ;[

aMy said...

Pui & nattsu,

thanks for the advice

tho it's really difficult to do, haha!

esp. whenever my mom started chatting with strangers, she discussed religious topics... =P like in the first or second line...

(Religion & politics are the two worst conversation topics... most likely to provoke arguments... but strangers are usually too polite to argue with you even they disagree with you, haha!)

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha!

if i am with my mum, i may express that to her afterwards when the two of us are alone...